Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Yep its Magic, and Science, and Art...............

Hey all,

Just got finished reading this great article on cooking and getting your kids involved. The link for it is here:http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/want-your-children-to-grow-up-to-be-healthy-adults-teach-them-to-cook-1.1595345.

Like any quality article, I was able to relate to it on a personal level. I was brought back to my early childhood where I got to learn to cook.  My parents, god love em started me early on learning things that would enable me further in life, cooking being one of the biggest things.

As memory serves, the first thing I made on my own besides the obligatory PB&J, was Meatball vegetable soup. And even then, the creation stuck with me. That and the fact that my family ate it and didn't wind up in the emergency room equaled success. And I got hooked from there.

Its not just plating food. At least for me. To take assorted ingredients  and assemble them to something bigger than its parts speaks of magic to me. Cmon all those witches and their cauldrons?

Sure maybe its garlic instead of eye of newt, and turmeric instead of wing of bat but they had the idea. Stew by any other name........

And you scientists, mad or otherwise? Basic chemistry folks. Altering the molecular structure of something into something else not only works in a lab but in every kitchen every day.

And I didn't leave you artsy types out. Rock star chef types AND home cooks alike can put flair on a plate, In fact how you present your food is as important to how you make it to some. And again, edible art = WIN.

Behind all this was the interaction, the sharing of knowledge in families. some of my most valuable possessions are my grandmothers recipes,  and knowing that i can share the effort and the love she put into those recipies is a wonderful feeling.

I put this, the family unit cooking for itself high among priorities for education and health. Starting your kids learning to shop, cook, heck maybe even grow food gives them the same thing you have.

Power.

I mean it. Really. Tell me what may be more powerful and significant than feeding your family something you have created?

Just some thoughts........

No comments:

Post a Comment