Thursday, January 9, 2014

Health by association. .....

I remember a line from some sit - com that a newly divorced woman, when told how great she looked replied, "Well thanks I just dropped 180 pounds of useless fat. My ex."

Changing lifestyles usually results in casualties.  No more so than when you try to get healthier. If your inner circle meets regularly at a bar with wing and pizza specials chances are a dead lift PRO is not in your near future.

And the support usually isn't there. I still have friends that believe I'll revert to my former habits, almost seems like they are betting on it. Which is fine.

So do you cut line and avoid all contact? No, not yet. Chances are you are making new friends who share your mindset and can be your support.  I share freely that my Jiu-Jitsu brothers and sisters,  after 5 years are some of the strongest bonds I've ever formed.

And if you are lucky, you bring some people along with you. I've had friends surpass me in their efforts to live healthier and maybe I had a small part in that.

That's another thing. There is always someone watching.  You never know who you inspire.

And for those people who never come around? Probably you will see and hear them less and less. But go back to the bar occasionally,  it'll remind you why you started in the first place......

No comments:

Post a Comment